Thursday, November 12, 2009

connections pg 99-100

"I hope she won't be reincarnated here," I say quietly. Chou reaches out for my hand and holds it gently as she wipes her eyes with her sleeve. I think about what Chou has just told me. I imagine Keav sleeping peacefully some where. On the third night she wakes up only to realize that she is dead. It saddens me to think of her pain upon finding out she cannot return home. I imagine Keav in heaven, watching over us, fially happy again. I picture her the way she looked before the war, and wearing a white gown and washing in the river. I see her the way she looked in Phnom Penh, not the wat Ma described her.

I can relate to this book because a few years ago someone in my family passed away and was in the hospital. The day he passed was sad and we were all trying to remember all the good memories we shared with him from when we were little. Also I can relate this book to "Lovely Bones" because in the book a little girl is murdered by her neighbor and her parents have no clue what happened to her. So they were in panic waiting for her to come home and everything. The girl describes what her heaven was like and how it was so nice.

2 comments:

  1. i agree with this aswell. people die every minute of every day. when someone dies slowly and not just in their sleep you get more scared for the person and you expect it but when the person dies in their sleep, you dont expect it and i think you react harsher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Ante said, people die almost every second of the day. I do think that it was better for Keav to die while sleeping because I do believe that it is less painful way to die. It would be more painful for the family if the person was alive when he/she died.

    ReplyDelete